MC Authority Filing
Why do I need an MC Number?
Companies are required to have interstate Operating Authority (MC number), in addition to a DOT number, if they are doing the following:
- Transport passengers in interstate commerce for a direct or indirect compensation
- Transport federally-regulated materials, which are owned by others arranging for their transport
FMCSA authority has several types, such as FF, MC or MX number. A company may also need multiple operating authorities for supporting its business operations.
Do You Need MC Authority Filing?
First of all, you must choose only the types of authority that your business needs. It is not mandatory to have operating authority if you are:
- a private carrier
- a for-hire carrier that only transports cargo that is not under federal regulations
- a carrier operating only within a federally designated commercial zone that is not subject to interstate authority rules.
MC Authority Filing
At first, you need the right types of operating authority for making your business legal. Then, what authorities you choose can impact the required type and amount of insurance you need to carry.
You can apply for the following types of authority:
- Motor Contract Carrier of Property, excluding Household Goods
- Motor Contract Carrier of Household Goods
- Broker of Property, excluding Household Goods
- Motor Passenger Carrier
- Freight Forwarder
- Mexican Certificate of Registration for Foreign Motor Carriers and Foreign Motor Private Carriers
- Non-North America–Domiciled Motor Carrier
- Mexico-based Carrier for MC Authority to Operate beyond Commercial Zones on the US-Mexico Border and US Municipalities.
How Long Does The Process Take?
- For the new applicants, applications may take 20-25 business days, unless they are subject to further review by the agency , in that case it could take 8 weeks or longer.
- For the existing carriers carrier applications may take 45-60 business days.
Progressive Truck Insurance has the answers to your questions about MC Filing so contact us today!