Get a USDOT Number
What is a USDOT number?
A USDOT number is an identifier that is unique to your company. At first, it gives you quick access to your company’s safety information. Therefore, any company that uses commercial vehicles to transport passengers or haul cargo in interstate commerce, must display their USDOT number on the vehicles.
Companies that ship hazardous materials nationwide in a specific amount that requires a safety permit must also display the company’s USDOT number. So, here are the reasons why your company needs to get a DOT number.
Who needs to get a DOT Number ?
So, you need to get a DOT number if you have a vehicle that:
- Is shipping the types and quantities of hazardous materials requiring a safety permit in intrastate commerce
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater
- Is used to transport more than 8 passengers including the driver and for compensation, which requires an MC number
- Carries more than 15 passengers including the driver, but is not used to carry passengers for payment
The USDOT number is necessary for trading or transporting in one or more of these ways:
- Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the US
- Between two places in a State as a part of traffic, trade, or transportation that begins or ends outside the State or the US.
Here are the states that require a DOT number for all commercial vehicles aside from the specifications listed above:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
If you have any questions regarding your state regulations, contact us. Also ask us about affordable truck insurance.